Sunday, August 15, 2010

Update

The transplant last night didn't end up happening. It turned out that the potential donor was not in good shape at further examination. They were told that the White blood count was high, which is a sign of infection (not good to put in a newly immune suppressed body) and also the lungs were not able to saturate the blood with enough oxygen. Upon that discovery they determined that the lungs would be too risky to donate to my friend Rhiannon. Therefore they canceled the procedure. However, Rhi did say that they believe that the other organs may have been salvageable... Please keep this person in your thoughts and their family is going through a very difficult tragedy.

Thank you.

I also wanted to let all of my readers know about this event because this could be a possibility for me as well. In the transplant world we call this event a "dry run". So it may very well be that I get the call for transplant and have to go home as well. My doctor told me that this occurs about 10% of the time but I have heard that it is not uncommon. Some people have a few of them. So i wanted to take this time to educate and not have you all freak out if it happens to me....

No comments: