Thursday, August 21, 2008

Oh Larry the pharmacy guy

So I am in the hospital now. It has been going well thus far. I am planned to get my port placed tomorrow about 10 am ish... but that is hospital time, so we will see what really happens. The good news is that i am not very sick at all, this is a kind of "get it before it gets me" tune up with the IV antibiotics. So I am very optimistic. Also, I have more energy than normal when I am in here, so i am much able to deal with all the complications of getting all of the orders straight. So everything has gone well, and i have almost all my meds ordered. So that is great. I like to have my own insulin when I am in here, because it is difficult to get the insulin when you need it, so I like to keep it bedside... this is where LARRY the pharmacy guy comes in. I have to have the insulin approved, and I have never had any issue with this before, but he comes in and gives me a speech about their protocol and how they do not in no instance leave the meds by the bedside. As he says, "you never know, you might get confused and give yourself two doses, or swallow the WHOLE pill bottle." I was trying not to snicker... if you were to take the WHOLE bottle of enzymes, i promise you would never ever make that mistake again... you would probably need more golytly and miralax, more than they have in the hospital. Anyways, after a few more lectures about how if he left it at the bedside, it would be a sin worse than anything you could think of. Then he spouted out something about an email going out about how Larry made a boo boo by leaving it out, and EVERYONE would get the email, and we wouldn't want that would we? It was quite comical, but at the same time VERY irritating. I am at more risk not getting my insulin when needed, than overdosing myself. But ANYWAY... he is such a condesending guy it was funny. After he left we did a treatment and I heard all about his reputation around here... and he will stand up to a resident and say "shhhhh" and put his hand up as to be saying , "talk to the hand" and will go on about the chemical make up of medicines, just to show off his knowledge. I don't know if you all think this is as funny/ridiculous as I do... but i have to find some things in this joint to entertain me. Then right after dinner I had convinced my nurse to let me have my enzymes and insulin by my bed until I go to bed... my mom went out of my room, and came back in and said, "QUICK hide the meds! LARRY is outside!" so we hid the contraband and ran out of the room so he wouldn't check on me. I think i dodged him for now. i am scared he is going to check my "lock box" and find that my insulin isn't in there, and come hunt me down! Anyways, that is the entertainment for the day. The good thing is that my FAVROITE respiratory therapist is here, and he is giving me GREAT treatments, so I can get all cleared out for my surgery. That is enough CF talk for now... I have more to post, about last night but I will do that later... you will have to stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

crazy larry! glad to hear that you are getting settled. and can't wait to see you on Saturday. if you want I can bring our fav fraiche yogurt!

Tiffany said...

LOL! I had a similar experience with a new PFT tech today...I have to write about it on my blog now!

Do you want traffic to your blog or do you want to keep it quiet? What I'm asking is do you want me to add you to my blog roll?

I'm thinking of you today as you get your new port. Sux ass but hopefully this one will work as well as the last and you won't have to deal with this again for another 8 years.

Love you!!!