Sunday, November 7, 2010

How Can I help?

I have been overwhelmed by all of the love and support from family and friends. It is becoming a bit of a long haul getting to this transplant, and I thank each and every one of you for bearing with me to get there.

Many of you have expressed concern and a wish to help. I have figured out a great way that ALL of you can help.

As the cold and flu season is quickly upon us, i am most likely going to be getting this transplant right in the thick of it. I would like to ask each and every one of you to PLEASE GET A FLU SHOT. If you plan to visit me in the next year and especially the first 3 months after transplant I really need you to get a flu shot. Even though I have had one, well two by accident, I need YOU to get one as to not BRING the flu to me. Even though I have had the vaccine, i will be seriously immune suppressed. It is a small thing for you to do, to help keep me out of a life threatening situation.

You can be contagious without even knowing it, and having this preventative measure is so important. I know many of you hate needles, but so do i. I also want to live, and thrive, and be supported by all of you. I also ask for you to tell me if you do for some reason get the flu mist vaccine, as I cannot be around someone who has gotten a live vaccine for something like 6 weeks after transplant. I just want you all to understand the magnitude of this. The world is going to become more dangerous for me to live in, and i would really appreciate the gesture of helping me out.

You can get flu shots at your primary care doc, or any pharmacy such as CVS, Walgreens, or even Safeway.

In addition, there is another epidemic in California of Whooping Cough. The last statistic i heard was 6,200 cases. I just got my booster shot of T-DAP to prevent against this. It is recommended for people in close contact with me to get this booster as well. It would be a kind gesture to do this as a precautionary measure.

I know we all hate shots, but this one could help save my life... please consider this compassionate act. It will also save you from sickness as well!!!!

No comments: