Friday, November 5, 2010

DIOS

Well, it happened again. DIOS, a typical CF bowel blockage. It started with a bang on Wed late morning. The pain began as different than usual, but quickly progressed to mind numbing abdominal pain that radiated through my whole abdomen into my back. It was very high up, right under my sternum. Because it was so high, the miralax that usually helps to push things along and clear out the gut was not working. If you can't keep things down, they can't push it out. I was violently ill a couple hours after eating breakfast. The Clinic finally called me back at 4pm and ordered a KUB (abdominal xray). We went over to Stanford to get the xray and learned I was FULL OF SHIT. Because once i got back home i again got violently ill and couldn't keep down my miralax, we had to go back to the hospital to the ER.

It was an amazing experience, we got to the hospital at like 830, got in a room (private after asking for one) and had an easy experience with the intern and attending. They communicated with the Pulmonary on call doc easily, and got the ball rolling so fast, I was admitted to a floor by 10pm. They kept telling me that I must know people to be out that fast. They didn't even have enough time to get all the procedures done, and had to race to get my IV in and history completed.

I got moved to F ground, and most of my orders were in. They were able to start my bowel regimen and things started moving along. One of the greatest RTs saw my name and came to find me. He was so awesome. He came back at 1am with ALL MY CORRECT MEDS!!!! We did a treatment and he stayed with me until about 2am. It was so wonderful to have such a caring person watching out for me. Thanks David!!!!

I only got about 3 hours of sleep , and a few naps, but things moved a long and i was able to have a lot less pain, which was soooo good. My poor mom was right by my side. I know how hard it is to watch me with this problem because the pain is intense, and the standers by can't do anything to fix it. I really do appreciate them being there and supporting me. Bringing me heating packs, rubbing my back. Guarding my hospital door, and all those undisclosed ways my mom helps me which are completely and totally embarrassing. Mom, you KNOW what i am talking about :)

I was able to get my electrolytes replaced, and go home within 21 hours of getting to the ER. It was quite impressive. My stomach is slow now, and kinda feels like it was hit with a bomb, but i am getting better. Staying on high doses of miralax to keep it moving and avoid another episode. The thing that is frustrating with this problem is that i can't predict when it is going to happen, and i do nothing wrong to cause it. I thought I had found my trigger foods, but this time, nope, i had eaten nothing that would trigger it, except maybe some cupcakes? If that is a trigger food, i will be very very sad. Usually it is pizza, macaroni and cheese, you know, lots of melted cheese. At least my lasagna hasn't caused problems. I love my lasagna. Just talking about it makes me hungry.... yummmmmm......I digress....

Well, I am happy to be home. I slept so well last night. I could barely get up for my treatment, then i went back to bed to nap a full on under the covers, pjs, bipap nap. I slept over 1 1/2 hours. I will feel caught up on sleep after tomorrow i am sure. Hopefully my tummy feels that way too...

The lucky part of this whole adventure is that i was able to have treatments the entire time. I usually have to miss some due to pain, or inability to get them in the beginning of a hospital stay... but it worked out perfectly, so my lungs are just fine (as of now). I am going to work hard to keep it that way. just gotta get to this transplant.....

Ok All... Modlin, OUT!

No comments: