Monday, February 9, 2009

Aztreonam

Hello everyone.... I have a magic word, Aztreonam! No, i didn't say Alakazam.... Aztreonam is an antibiotic used to treat Psuedomonas, which CF people harbor in their lungs. I have taken Aztreonam through an IV for years, but only today, right now as we speak have I gotten to take in through a nebulizer. I have been trying to get this drug, as it was supposed to be FDA approved late last year, however it didn't get the approval, due to political reasons, is what i have been told. I have pleaded with the docs to find a way for me to get it and now FINALLY i have gotten it. It tastes a bit like paint thinner, grass, and rotten eggs, but the potential benefit that I have heard about is well worth the nasty taste. I am so excited to get to try this drug. My life is obviously boring if drugs is what i am excited for, and not even psychoactive drugs.... There is a national shortage of the drug, but I have enough for 20 days, and hopefully that will last till I can get a little more to complete the 30 day cycle. The plan is that I take this drug for 30 days and switch to another drug called Colistin, which I have taken for years, for the other 30 days. This method helps to keep me on antibiotics with the least risk for resistance to develop. Well, wish me luck in getting this in my lungs... and hope for improved lung function!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sounds so delicious! Thanks


------------------------
Azactam