Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Home is where I am headed

This is my last night in the hospital if everything goes to plan tomorrow. Today I got the chest tube out, yay. It is a little bit traumatizing when ever something is yanked from your body even if you don't want it there in the first place. I was going to get the dialysis cath taken out too, but my coumidin levels were a tid bit too high, so we have to wait till tomorrow for that, but we will know first thing about that because they take blood at ridiculous times here. So here is to hoping that we have a smooth time getting out, it may be late in the day but at least it will be tomorrow, all fingers and toes crossed. I will try to work a little of my magic to see things happen. It worked today as they actually let me leave the unit to go deliver a Xmas card to the d3nurses who took care of me first time round.

Today was also the day that I started walking without a bracing device like a walker or pushing a chair since i didn't have to carry the tube with me any more. That was great. It was more work without the momentum of the chair but I caught on quick. I was even able to get myself to the bathroom which makes me so happy. Independence is a very special thing. I started thinking about all the ways my life will be normal again when I get home... Like no o2 to pull around and dictate what I am doing, I can get the mail if I want without having to fill a tank, water my plants, say hi to the neighbors, not scare them with all the crazy loud sounds and coughing. I bet they all notice the lack of coughing. How nice. So many things I am excited to do.... Just to be home and to have the gift of new lungs, no more dialysis and to be safe with my family, alive is a Christmas miracle. I feel like the rehab can finally begin and the crises of recovery have passed. Bring on the walking and living...... Viva new lungs, new breath, new life!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIGHT ON!!!!!

LOVE YA, AUNTIE SUE

Sherri said...

Congrats Anna! I've been following your progress and am so excited for you. Have a Merry Christmas with those new lungs of yours!

Court said...

I hated how they took bloodwork at 5am when I was in the hospital after having Matt... just when you'd finally get some sleep somebody would barge in! You are a trooper and I'm so happy for you! Merry Christmas :)

Unknown said...

Keep the great news coming!