Monday, July 22, 2013

Training Complete. Time to swim to Africa!

Well, after my final 20 minutes and 800 meter long course swim, I am officially done with training. No more swimming in America until the games are complete. I am filled with excitement, the possibilities ahead of me, the world I am about to explore. The most miraculous thing about this journey is if you told me my future 3 years ago,while I was waiting to get listed on the lung transplant list at Stanford, I would have never believed you. I hoped to get a transplant, but I never knew my life could ever be this great.  It is like I am living in high definition. There are 2 funny things my family will tell you about this journey, in comparison of my previous life. 1. I hated to travel. 2. I hated to exercise. Well, those are both things of the past. This is part of the reason my life feels so different and unrecognizable. I am able to comfortably explore the world and push my body. Two things I could never do before. I am so excited to go to 2 continents I have never been before. My dream, or fantasy shall we say was to go to Africa. Again, while waiting for my lungs to arrive, I attended the annual CFRI teen and adult retreat, we sat in a circle outside my room, as I was unable to go far being tethered to my o2 concentrator. We sat in the circle and shared places we wanted to visit. Realistic or not, what was in your heart. Most people said the usual, countries in europe.  I was the only one, the sickest one, who said Africa. I remember people being confused by that and challenging me saying, you can't go there, because of diseases.  Well, look at me now. The one place that is safe for transplants to go, South Africa, I am going only 3 years after verbalizing my desires. In terms of amazing blessings this is one beyond any challenge of my imagination. When I watched the promotional video last summer for the world transplant games, I looked over at my mom and said "we are GOING!" so did everyone else around me, but it turns out I am the only one of them who is. I knew that the world transplant games was how I would achieve my dream.  I had to swim to Africa! 

3 comments:

kathyt said...

You go Anna!!! You know that we love you and that we are here routing for you!!!!

Karen Neyman said...

What a wonderful blog entry! I felt like I was there.... loved the images! I can't wait to read more! YOU INSPIRE!!!!

erock77 said...

So awesome! I'm really happy for you. Look forward to chatting after you get home.