Saturday, January 8, 2011

Sayonara CF Paraphernalia



Oy, I am up early with a mad tummy... Don't worry, I will be fine, it is just getting used to the fact that I am filling it up with lots of delicious food again, nothing alarming, just annoying CF stuff. Anyways on from that....

Yesterday was a great milestone for me, one that I honestly didn't even believe could ever be a reality, but it is. I not so ceremoniously, well, except with pictures, packed up my vest and put it away in the garage, threw away my used inhalers and left over expired cayston. I also ripped up the oxygen in use sign from my window, after Apria took away the large tanks that blocked my front door entrance. It was glorious. Once Casey got home we also threw away the bean bag pillows we has been using for my percussion treatments, it felt absolutely victorious. It is like I won. I beat the CF. I know that isn't the case, but honestly to be able to get rid of those shackles was the greatest feeling.








Also, did I mention I did all of this in MY OWN HOUSE? This was the first time I had been inside my home with new lungs! I walked in and looked down the hall to see two pairs of pointy ears on the office bed perk up. It took them a minute to realize it was me, but I called their little names and two joyous kitties came bounding down the hall to jump on the couch and quickly head butt me. I couldn't help it, ii started to cry. My moment was interrupted by a phone call from the nurse, who asked if my mom told me that my INR level was too high, way too high, (this means not enough clotting going on with my blood) she said no knives and no falling today. Good thing that when my mom did tell me I was in sur la table, and had just walked through the knife section of the store ;). Hehe. She also said now my prograf is too high and WBC are too low. It is a constant balance, and it is amazing how quickly things change. All this really means is that I have to get more blood draws and just keep changing my meds, but things keep looking up and getting better everyday.

Before we came to my house we walked around my park. I did it 3 times! I honestly don't remember when I could do it three times, and without stopping, I don't even know if I did that at all in the past couple years. It is amazing what it means to be able to breathe. My legs are still weak and now that the swelling in my arms is gone you can see the wasting that has taken place, but I am working on it each day and see more progress. My sister pointed out the most amazing part about all of this is that each day we are headed toward getting better. Whereas with CF we were always fighting a battle to stabilize, and keep from heading in the wrong direction. The was a race against the bugs, a fight for air, and now we are healing and looking forward to a life of my own. There is no doubt there will be bumps along the way but I truly believe this will be a time for me to spread my wings in a way I never could before. I can't wait to take off!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anna,
That is so awesome, I am so happy for you. I know all to well dealing with high INR's with my patient's, one day it will be very consistant. Take care.

Your cousin
JB