Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I tat I saw a puddy tat

Today was my first day of full on volunteering at the humane society. I had a great time playing with kitties. I checked in, got my keys, and headed to the back room, A kennels. I have heard that this room doesn't get the kind of attention the others do, so my goal was to visit all the kitties in the room. I cleaned all the cat boxes, gave them more food, and gave them love. There was a tripod cat who is declawed (so sad) and a very friendly but easily over stimulated cat. Other than that there was a super cute older kitten who immediately messed up his cage after I cleaned it. One thing I have learned already is that many cats are social eaters, and when you give them affection and pet them, it encourages them to eat, when otherwise they may not touch their food. I felt like it was a good day and I left a lot of happy kitties. When I left, I was completely covered with cat hair. I had to immediately put my clothes in the wash. I need to do that anyways, because you don't want to bring any germs from the shelter back home to your cats. So I gotta protect the Milton and the Jack. Well, I put in a days work, which makes me feel like I am giving back to society instead of just living for myself....so I am satisfied.

1 comment:

Kaeti said...

Be careful with the cat litter. I worked at a Pet store and I noticed that over a months time of cleaning the dog and cat kennels I developed tightness in my chest. And I know it wasn't because I was sick or anything. The danders in the cat litter is what got to me. Just so you know. :)