Monday, October 24, 2016

Almost 6 years Post Double Lung Transplant Update

Wow.  I am 5 years and 11 months post transplant. This is incredible.  The statistic says that only 50% live to 5 years.  I am going strong and just about to hit 6. I have had many ups and downs in this journey.  Most recently I attended the Transplant Games of America in Cleveland where I was not only the co-manager for Team Norcal, but also worked really hard and pushed myself to enter new sports and I even took up GOLF for the games.  I entered into Swimming (7 events), Golf, Bocce ball, and Volleyball.  I did really well in my swimming events, taking home 7 gold medals, and also gold in Golf for a total of 8 gold medals.  I was also very honored to accept the award of Female Athlete of the Year.  It was a tremendous honor to be recognized for my efforts, performance, and sportsmanship.  I have made an effort to push myself every year in my swimming.  I was not able to attend the most recent world transplant games in Argentina due to the fact I had to have a bariatric surgery.  But this year I am all healed, healthy and ready to train to compete!  The next World Transplant Games are going to be held in Malaga, Spain, 2017.  To start off my training season, I am working with a trainer, have been continuing my Pilates class,  going to Orange Theory Fitness, and still attend my U-Jam Fitness class.  I am also going to be starting up my Gyrotonic practice as well.  I am currently working out of water to get stronger and fitter before I get back in the pool.  I have goals this year to really work on my muscle strength to help take time off my swim races.  I don't want to cram all of the updated info into one blog post so please stay tuned as a big announcement is coming  soon...


  

No comments: