Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Next Chapter



This morning i woke up to an empty house. Casey went off snowboarding, and my mom is happily back in Livermore. I woke up with two kitties, one at my feet and the other trying to make an appeal for snuggling my face. I am now sitting on the couch, relaxing, drinking my coffee, and watching "million dollar listings" on Bravo, which is one of my guilty pleasures. I love real estate tv. There are no sounds of nebulizers, coughing, or pounding on my back... just the sound of sipping coffee and real-estate agents. It is the next chapter.

I don't have plans for the day. I am simply alone. I haven't spent much time alone in a long while. I was tempted to try to find someone to hang out with, but i think today i am going to spend with myself. I need to get to know me again. I need to learn who i am without CF lungs. I am a different person in many ways. I mean, geez I drink coffee for crying out loud ;)

My crazy neighbor moved out about 2 weeks ago, and left a mess in his wake (as usual). The new owners have not been here since, but today i hear noises upstairs, i think i saw a cleaning crew go up there. Now, this condo needs more than just a cleaning crew, they really need a wrecking crew. So i am expecting to hear construction in the near future...

It is funny that now that things are on the up and up I really don't have much to report. My last doctor's visit was great. They graduated me to coming once a month. My PFTs were up to 78% FEV1. That was even after having a small sinus cold. Things are just simply good. The only thing now is that i am still waiting for my scar to finish it's final healing. I have a divot in my chest that i am waiting to fill in. The prednisone makes it difficult to heal, so i am just waiting for that. I still have to deal with blood levels, and small changes in medication doses, but overall I am just fine. One day after I finish coumidin I will be getting a bronchoscopy, which I still have never had. However, they tell me that because I have no symptoms of rejection or infection they are not concerned about skipping the bronch.
The other thing I still have to do is have my last Cytogam infusion, which is the drug to help me avoid a CMV infection. I think total it will be 7 of these infusions. Once those are finished I will also be receiving an infusion for my bones every 3 months. I am a little nervous about this because previously when i tried fosamax or actonell, it made me really sick. They have told me that people don't experience the same symptoms with the infusion, so i am hopeful that i can just breeze through this.

I notice in myself that I am having a hard time deciding what i want to do with myself. I have lots of ideas. I want to help people, I want to make money, i want to live an exciting life. I have toyed with the ideas of working with girls with eating disorders, getting into real-estate, starting my program of making food for transplant families, or simply just being a homemaker. I am not sure what I should pursue. I figure I have time to figure this out, but i want to start moving in a direction. I don't like being stagnant. I need goals and a reason to go forward. I am a very motivated person, and I like to achieve... I want to find something worthwhile and fun to puruse in my life. I know things will come to fruition and it is hard to wait for my life to take off.

I have mentioned that this chapter in my life is about "playing hard". I realize because it has been so long since i have felt well that i don't even know how to initiate adventures. I dont know how to plan ahead, because i have always lived a life that was so unpredictable i couldn't plan. I have a mental block. I need to get out there and get adventurous. I can't wait for spring to begin, it will help me get inspiried. I am hoping to spend time out on the lake this year and would REALLY love to ride on a jet ski. I just need to live it up!

I hope you have enjoyed my ramblings of the next chapter. Basically i don't know where my life is going and how i will get there... but i do know that i am excited everyday to experience life with my new lungs. I hope that i can allow my donor to live on in me, and let her experience the world through me.

The Best part of having a transplant is getting to hug two of my bestest friends for the first time in 20 years!

4 comments:

erock77 said...

Glad to hear how well things are going. Very happy for you! Maybe you can pick up where you left off, with a more aged wisdom this time, with the career you went to school for and swimming at a gym or something. Though I'm sure you don't need my help to think of these.
I wish an exciting new chapter.
Eric

bex said...

Aw, ANna.... reading that is music to my eyes!! I am so happy for your new life... Perhaps I shall see you in the not-so-largely-distant future :D

(You and Casey should come visit us in San Diego, HINT HINT)

Kathy said...

Oh Anna what a great way to start your day

May each day be better than the one before....we are here with Ryan, Court, and Matt.....sending you our love!!!

Kathy and Larry

Unknown said...

xoxo, Anna! I love that you have so many ideas of what you want to do with your life and that the world is now so wide open for you. If you need a listening ear as you figure stuff out, I'm here for ya! I also would like to volunteer to ride a jet ski with you. Now THAT sounds like fun!